Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Flowing Karasuma (Kyoto)  フロウィング からすま

Simple, flavoursome food, great prices (about 1000 yen for this 3 course meal of antipasti, pasta, dessert and coffee) in a lofty, casual, comfortable space - most unusual in Japan. Above is the main dining room however there is a small adjacent cafe area and the venue regularly hosts live performance of various genre. They also have a small shop area selling books, CD's,  and other clever creations by local artists. The homemade cakes, cookies and chocolates are excellent and available in take home packs. Oh and I think there is a day spa upstairs if you want to make a girly day of it!

 In addition, the proprietors would have to be some of the friendliest folk in Kyoto.
I stopped in for coffee and a sandwich one day in 2009. I also purchased some CD's and chatted briefly with one of the very helpful owners.   I returned almost exactly one year later for lunch and the owner spotted me across the room and came over to ask if I remembered meeting her last time. She recalled every detail of our conversation and welcomed me back to Kyoto  - then proceeded to ply me with their new range of sensational house made chocolates. No complaints from me naturally. Seriously lovely people - I plan to become a regular at Flowing Karasuma.  I think they also have an English menu and are very welcoming to foreigners. 

You will find them on Karasuma dori just south of the cross street - Takoyakushi dori on the west side of the street. 


No comments:

Post a Comment